Celebrity Property Paradise
Celebrity Property Paradise
The Bahamas boasts the highest concentration of celebrity-owned private islands and properties anywhere in the world. Its more than 700 islands and cays have attracted well-known celebrities such as Johnny Depp, who filmed Pirates of the Caribbean in Exumas and purchased Little Hall’s Pond Cay in 2004 for a reported $3.6 million. Magician David Copperfield bought also up to 11 islands for $50 million. Music stars Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, purchased 17-acre Goat Cay in 2006 and director, actor and screenwriter Tyler Perry, bought 20-acre White Bay Cay in 2009 for $6.4 million. Business magnate Prince Aga Khan IV, spent up to $100 million for 349-acre Bell Island, also in 2009 and singer Shakira, bought Bonds Cay for $16 million in 2011.
The Bahamas has no income, inheritance, capital gains or corporate taxes.
Aside from its cities – the capital, Nassau, located on New Providence Island, and Freeport, which is on Grand Bahama – some of the most sought-after properties in the Caribbean are on the ´Out Islands´ including Abaco, Andros, Acklins and Crooked Island, Bimins, Berry Islands, Cat Island, Eleuthera, the Exumas, Inaguas, Mayaguana, and San Salvador.
The country is accessible from New York within 2.5 hours and from Florida within 45 minutes. The Bahamas’ economy is considered one of the most stable in the Caribbean thanks to its close ties and proximity to the US.
Here is a list of some property hotspots.
Found in the Northern Bahamas region, the Abacos form a 120-mile chain of islands stretching over 650 square miles. The most popular of the islands are the Great Abaco Island and Little Abaco.
Property samples in Abacos listed on our website:
- A 7-bedroom, 8-bathroom 6,800 sq. ft. single family home in Elbow Cay sells for $5.5 million
- A 6-bedroom, 6-bathroom 6,000 sq.ft. single family home located in Scotland Cay sells for $3.25 million.
- A 7-bedroom, 7-bathroom, 7,000 sq.ft. single family home in Other Abaco sells for $3.9 million.
The largest island in the Bahamas, Andros is hailed as the world’s bone fishing capital and has the third largest fringing barrier reef in the world. It is the least developed among the group of islands in the Bahamas, making it the perfect escape for people who want to get away from the city bustle.
Property samples in Andros:
- 2-bedroom, 3-bathroom, 3,175 sq.ft. single family home in Staniard Creek sells for $2.6 million
- 1,400 sq.ft. Staniard Creek home with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms sells for $2.1 million
50 miles east of Bahamas’ capital Nassau is Eleuthera, boasting a stunning reef system and 110 miles of pink and white sands.
Property samples in Eleuthera:
- 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom 3,000 sq.ft. single family home in Windermere Island sells for $18 million
- A 6-bedroom, 6-bathroom single family home in Harbour Island sells for $7.25 million
- A 4-bedroom, 5-bathroom single family home in Governor’s Harbour sells for $5.99 million
Exuma consists of over 360 islands, many of which are still untouched and are less explored than the prime destinations of Grand Bahama and Nassau.
Property samples in Exumas:
- A 10-bedroom, 11-bathroom 6,640 sq.ft. single family home in Jimmy Hill currently sells for around $4.99 million
- A 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom 5,000 sq.ft. single family home in February Point sells for $3.6 million
- A 3,500 sq.ft. single family home with 6 bedrooms and 6 bathroom off the shore of February Point sells for $2.60 million
The fourth largest island and considered the most known island in the Bahams, Grand Bahama is home to every conceivable amenity and property type. It has a commercial and tourism centre called Freeport located near the international airport. It is the second most populated city in the archipelago and is popular among vacationers and shoppers.
Property samples in Grand Bahama:
- A 5-bedroom, 5-bathroom single family home measuring 6,000 sq.ft. in Fortune Cay sells for $2.25 million
- A 5-bedroom, 3-bathroom 3,500 sq.ft. single family home in West End, sells for around $1.65 million
- A 58,806 sq.ft. property with 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in Colony Bay sells for $1.55 million
Nassau – New Providence
The capital of the Bahamas, Nassau, is located on New Providence, a 21-mile long island which is linked by a bridge to neighboring Paradise Island, home to the Atlantis resort. A full-service luxury development housing waterfront properties called Ocean Club Estates can be found at the easternmost tip of Paradise Island.
Located just at the western tip of New Providence is Lyford Cay, a gated community which has long been home to some of the world´s wealthiest individuals. It has a private international school and a mile-long beach that can only be enjoyed by a select few.
Just east of Lyford Cay lies Old Fort Bay, a modern private waterfront community with iconic Poinciana trees.
Property samples in New Providence:
- A 5-bedroom, 5-bathroom 36,154 sq.ft. single family home in Lyford Cay sells for $10.95 million
- A 6-bedroom, 5-bathroom 8,869 sq.ft. single family home in South Ocean sells for $9.5 million
- A 8-bedroom, 8-bathroom 12,000 sq.ft. single family home in Lyford Cay is currently listed for $5.95 million